Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy 2014!

In the spring of 1954 my mother, father, and brother flew from San Francisco to New York. I believe they were coming back from living in Japan during the Korean Conflict. I wouldn't be born for another few years, another few Army bases, and another country. These three tickets added up to about $500, including extra baggage charges. Judging from all the Japanese antiques, paintings, and fragile collectibles they brought back, it was probably a charge they didn't mind paying. They must have shipped a bunch of it first, though. Make sure to scroll down and check out the in-flight menu! United Airlines even mentioned the chef in New York that had prepared the meals! This is quite the flight pack, inlcuding the tickets, seating plan, menu, information about traveling with babies, Rent-a-Car charts, even adhesive stickers and decals still in their waxed paper envelopes.

I hope everyone out there has a great 2014! From my perspective it can't be any worse than 2013, but then again, I somehow always find new cellars and basements below what I thought was the bottom floor.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I will someday and I'm coming to the Pacific Northwest!

      Delete
  2. Wow, another memory moment. My first airline flight was in December 1954 when I flew from Los Angeles to Honolulu with my parents for Christmas vacation.

    Those were the days when the flight was part of the vacation and everyone dressed up for the occasion. Such a civilized notion.

    Happy New Year. Don't worry about cellars and basements, down is just a direction. If you stood on your head it would be up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I was curious what those $500 tickets would be today adjusting for inflation - $4,267.67. Seems like air travel today might be a tad cheaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about that, but was too lazy to actually compute it. Thank you! No wonder people dressed up, lol. For the record, if I were to fly anywhere today I would certainly wear nice clothes!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year my friend!
    No cellars or basements in 2014!!! NONE! We won't accept that, will we?
    Only the best of life to you-to all of us!!
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always used to wear a dress when I flew. I first flew when I was 18! It was a 5 hour flight and I didn't know if they had bathrooms on the plane, was too embarrassed to ask, so I didn't eat or drink anything on the plane! LOL One employer even told me one should always dress up on a plane for you never know when you're going to meet a client or new employer! Alas, these days I wear a nice sweater and jeans. No coats as they are too much trouble on a plane. I am flying to Ireland in July from Philadelphia. It's a redeye. I am meeting one of my dearest friends at the Dublin airport as she is flying from Boston. We're renting a car (should be interesting driving on the wrong side of the road!) and driving all over the place for 8 days. Hubs isn't going! It's my last gift from my mother. She always wanted to go there. Happy New Year everyone! Up out of the cellars! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds like such a fantastic trip, Katie! I hope you have a great, great time.

      Delete